3 Ways to Save Money You May Not Have Thought OfAugust 4, 2020
How Is Your Credit Score Calculated in Canada?August 19, 2020
Don’t throw away your old junk – sell it for cash! Here are six important tips for how to sell your extra stuff for cash online.
Got a lot of unwanted stuff cluttering up your home? Everyone could use a little more pocket change these days, and one man’s trash is another man’s treasure, after all. So, before you throw away that extra sewing kit or old dinnerware set, consider selling it on an online marketplace, like Craigslist, Kijiji, or Facebook Marketplace. Here’s how.
1. Do Your Research
Before making any listings of your own, be sure to take a look at what other sellers of similar products are doing. How are they pricing their items? What details are they including in their descriptions? Get a feel for what’s already out there, so you can more effectively market your items.
2. Pick the Right Price
Picking the right price can seem like a daunting task, but remember that there’s no right or wrong way to price your items. If you want to get rid of your stuff as quickly as possible, try pricing your items lower than what other sellers are asking for; if you want to maximize your earnings, you’re probably better off sticking with the market value.
3. Prioritize Pictures
A picture is worth a thousand words, especially in the online marketplace. Since buyers won’t be able to physically interact with your items before purchasing, you want to make sure that you provide clear, excellent photographs. Consider the following as you take pictures of your items:
- Lighting—Good lighting can make or break a photo. Take your pictures in natural light, so the color is clear and easy to see.
- Cleanliness—Before you get your camera or smartphone out, give your item a good wipe down—no one is going to want to buy something dirty.
- Background—Don’t let the background distract from what you’re trying to sell. Take your pictures in a place that’s free of clutter.
- Angles—Take pictures from every angle; you want your buyers to know what your item looks like from the top, bottom, and side.
4. Create the Perfect Listing
If you want to be able to sell your extra stuff for cash online, you’ll need to be able to create effective listings for your items. Here’s what you need to know about creating the perfect listing:
Choose the Right Category
First and foremost, make sure you categorize your item correctly. One surefire way to make sure that no one ever sees your listing for your old designer purse is to put it in the “Vehicles” category. If you’re unsure what category to put your item in, refer back to similar listings, and see how other sellers are categorizing their items.
Construct a Clear Headline
Your item’s headline is the first thing that potential buyers will see, so you want to make a good impression. Give your listing a title that’s clear, concise, and features the price you’re asking for. Remember, this is how buyers will be searching for your item.
Write a Good Description
The description is what’s really going to sell your item, so you want it to be well-written and informative. Be sure to include the following in your description:
- Description—The most important part of your description is, well, the description! Start by explaining exactly what your item is.
- Condition—Be honest about what condition your item is in, and be sure to make note of any damages so your buyer knows exactly what they’re getting.
- Details—How many miles are on that car you’re trying to sell? What are the dimensions of your item? Try to include as many technical details as you can.
- Price—Restate your price, and make it clear if you’re willing to bargain or if your price is firm.
- Contact Information—At the end of your description, include your contact information so buyers know the best way to reach out with questions.
5. Prioritize Your Safety
If you’re planning on meeting your buyer in person rather than shipping your items, you’ll want to take some precaution—you’re still meeting a stranger from the internet, after all. If you live alone, you might want to arrange for pick-up in a public area.
6. Pick the Right Platform
If you’re new to online marketplaces, you should try to learn what platforms are best for what you’re trying to sell. Craigslist and Kijiji are good picks for selling furniture and vehicles, while Facebook Marketplace is better suited for selling books and household items. Do your research, and figure out which platform is best for you.
Sometimes life happens, and we need a little support to figure it all out. Visit our blog for more helpful tips on saving money and other interesting stuff.